The Graphic Design (Brand Design) is a form, activity and possibility to visualize conceptual correlations and to bring them into a graphic/ visual form.
It uses the possibilities of the typography, the fotographic and illustrative image composition, the color and the different materials and formats.
As a Brand Design it should visualize the brand of a company and increase the recognition value. Therefore it is the Corporate Design and a part of the Corporate Identity.
There are many factors, that make a graphic design a good one. Although “taste” is mostly subjective, there are basics, that have to be taken into account to create an aesthetically appealing graphic design.
We have a few notes for orientation
- the creativity of the designer and the functionality of the result are crucially
- New typography/ functional typography (developed by Jan Tschichold)
International Typographic Style
The science of visualization of data uses furthermore knowledge about
- Color theory
- Structure of the human eye
- Cognitive psychology
- Informationally graphic as a complex form of communication of contents
The most important thing for the visualization is the selection of the method. Prof. Dr. Werner Gaede identified 12 visualization techniques, that base on the syntactical as well as the semantical connection between text and image.identifiziert.
Inspiration can be found furthermore here:
create your own board on Pinterest and pin design trends
- Identify design trends online
- Orientation along the style and work progress of famous graphic designers
- develop your own/ personal pattern for a “good” graphic design and live by it
1. Logo or Signet/ word and figurative mark (Branding)
Image or symbol (ideogram, figurative mark, signet) and lettering (typogram, word mark).
2. Corporate Graphic Design (communication and graphic design)
3. Corporate Typography
Corporate typeface – a fitting and consistent typeface for the company and the company’s identity.
4. Corporate Picture (moving and static images)
A fitting and consistent imagery (photos, graphics, illustration) and symbols (icons) for your company and your company’s identity.
5. Corporate Color
A fitting and consistent color climate/ concept for your company
Common color catalogues are::
- Pantone for the graphic and fashion design secetion
- HKS-color fan for printproduction
6. Design guidelines in the form of a CD-manual
7. Implementation of a CD into the workflow of a customer
You will need a well thought out concept for the implementation of the CD into the workflow.
Furthermore (and mostly up to the customer’s wishes):
- Corporate Fashion (work clothes, company clothing)
- Corporate Industrial Design (Product design)
- Corporate Architecture
Typolexikon.de (german content) is a good information source for everything relating to graphic design. You can receive expert knowledge about and graphic design.
The four principles of professional graphic design
Proximity, orientation, repetition and contrast
Principle 1: Proximity
Elements, that belong together content related (image and caption), should be arranged spatially in proximity.
Principle 2: Orientation
No element within a design should be arranged randomly. A consistent orientation of the elements enforces the affiliation.
Principle 3: Repetition
Chosen design elements (for example color codes) should be repeated within the design. The repetition enforces the recognition value of your design.
Principle 4: Contrast
(Two) elements, that should not be similar, can be differentiated drastically. This builds up a clear hierarchy and a differentiation of more and less important content.
The split ratio of the golden cut for design, art and architecture relates to nature.
Rule of thirds
Is a design rule for photography that leaves the golden cut ajar.
Überprüfen Sie anhand unserer Checkliste, welche Komponenten des Markendesigns Sie noch für Ihr Unternehmen benötigen.