The flagship of your company – the name
The first contact with your customer will most likely be a passive one through your name. This is mostly the first impression your customers will get of your company. Choose wisely.
The naming process takes up a key passage in the brand development. The name connects the brand values, positioning and message, that evoke associations for the customer, thus it is the flagship of your company.
A wisely chosen name creates an image and tells a story, for an emotional bond to the brand.
Characteristics of a good name are
- easy to read and write (if nobody can write it, nobody will search for it)
- easy to pronounce
- as short as possible (one two syllabls)
- has to be unique in the branch
- easy to remember
- has a pleasant sound
- appealing in written presentation (it has to be different from the rest of the words)
- creates awareness
Important tasks in addition to that
- It has been checked in different languages, so that there are no ambiguous meanings hidden
- The domain had been checked (to see if the top 10 domains are still available)
- don’t use acronyms
Possible name categories you can choose from
- The own name gives the client the feelings of personal contact, trust and bond.
- The self explaining name should include a service or product.
- The mythical name allows a comparison to the qualities of gods and is a sign of elegance.
- The exotic name can be from another language. It must still be universally understandable. French/ Italian names are mostly connected to style/ lifestyle or pleasure.
- The patchwork-name from two or more words (e.g. the syllables of the first- and surname).
- The art name is a creative way of naming your brand. It is a completely new name.
- Variation through the changing of letters lead to a completely different sound of the word.
- Build in numbers for a pun.